An occasionally updated chronicle of estate sales in the city and suburbs of Chicago.

"It's such a guilty pleasure..." Lynne Stiefel, Pioneer Press

Monday, January 25, 2010

The Lady in the Leopard-Skin Coat

Occasionally I'm asked how I manage to take so many photos at estate sales. Don't people notice? Aren't they bothered by it?

In over six months of doing this blog, however, my picture-taking has been commented on only a handful of times. (And for those occasions, I have a few cover stories that never fail to bring the conversation to a rapid close.) The truth is, most people are just too busy shopping to care what someone else is doing. Or even if they're being photographed themselves.

Like this woman. Here she is in the bathroom, gathering up some gently used health and beauty aids. You might think I was following her around. Actually, she just had an uncanny ability to get in front of me, no matter where I went.

Here she is again in the kitchen, assessing the quality of some pots and pans, oblivious to the fact that I'm happily snapping away.

And finally, in the pantry. It's probably a good thing that no one notices or cares what I'm doing. It's their inattention that makes this blog possible. But it's your scraps of attention that make it all worthwhile.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails