An occasionally updated chronicle of estate sales in the city and suburbs of Chicago.

"It's such a guilty pleasure..." Lynne Stiefel, Pioneer Press

Friday, May 28, 2010

Definitely Northbrook

Ahhhh -- this is much more like it: a split-level with cathedral ceilings, situated on one of those curvy tree-lined streets with the peaceful-sounding names, where each house looks more Brady than the last.

Well hello, gorgeous. This is the kind of dining room where I could not only throw a fabulous dinner party, but practice my jazz dance routines and safely land small aircraft.

The first floor was unfortunately filled with people, which made picture-taking impossible. But the basement was largely unoccupied.

Hand-hooked, no doubt, and sadly unloved by all the estate salers so far. I should have bought it. But then, I should have bought a bigger house, or rented a bigger storage space, or sold my soul for more cash than I actually did.

Someone obviously had a thing for the fiber arts. And enormous gazongas.

What I don't understand is how someone could possibly stay on LSD long enough to complete something like this.

Definitely puzzling.

It's not an original Arco, but it was darned close and only $150. Yes, it was a little beat up -- in fact, the back of the shade looked like someone had shot a BB gun at it several times -- but with a little TLC and some light metalwork it would have been as good as used.

Neil Diamond: light and dark.

Now this is what I call an entryway -- something that costs a fortune to heat and cool, but looks like the lobby of a small theater from the street.

These fixtures deserve 1.) a close-up and 2.) a good home.

That's real wood paneling. In a real seventies pattern.

This is the kind of room where a woman can relax and play with her dolls.

The one on the left is a bride and I think the one on the right might be a hooker.

If I'm not mistaken, this is Prince Charles and Princess Diana, and theirs was a real happy story, too.

That's all for this week. Thanks for stopping by and keep sharing the links!

Purchased: BJ Thomas, "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head" LP, $1.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails